The Dangers Of Big Bow Headbands

Parents in Halton are being warned about the dangers of big bow headbands following claims that a 14-week-old baby, Holly, died when a bow slipped down to cover her nose and mouth.

A Facebook user in Glasgow asked all new mums to be aware after posting a tragic warning following the death of her friend’s baby due to suffocation asphyxiation. The post, which has now been deleted, had been shared 80,000 times. The mum is understandably devastated having left Holly sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk. She also wanted to share the dangers that some of these baby accessories can have.

Sheila Merrill, public health advisor at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), warned parents of the dangers, “Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths.  Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item.

“Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three.” 

Our heartfelt condolences go out to the family of baby Holly.